Set Up / Getting Started

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Thomas M

We have an innovative SIMLab and will want to deploy the immersive VR experience for our students. How difficult is it to get set up?

admin
      Keymaster

The good news is that you probably already have everything you need to run VRpatients! There is absolutely no need for anything other than a computer to log into the main program and WiFi. Since cases can be run on a computer remotely, you don’t even need to have a VR headset. Of course, VR headsets offer the ultimate experience with VRpatients, and there are a number of them that are compatible with the program. Ideally, you’ll want roughly a 12’ x 12’ area to give users space to move around the case environment, but that’s it!

You may also check out our blog, “4 Things I learned Building an Immersive Virtual Reality Lab for Nursing Education.” https://vrpatients.com/4-things-i-learned-building-an-immersive-virtual-reality-lab-for-nursing-education/

Chris Z

What are the advantages of VR?

admin
        Keymaster

Virtual reality allows students to engage multiple senses in a three-dimensional computer-generated environment. In the case of medical simulation, it raises your blood pressure and makes you think. It gives you a more real-life experience than sitting there looking at something that’s 2D. It speaks to the dizziness that some people get when they experience virtual reality the first few times. Their senses aren’t ready for it. Basically, it brings a simulated environment to life so students don’t just see something, but also experience it. As EMS students come out of their classes, there needs to be a lot of patient contact before those new medics really gain some expertise at their job. I think that with virtual reality, you can experience more patients more often and therefore feel more prepared because you’ve seen all this stuff and you’ve done all this stuff in virtual reality. I just think that it better prepares somebody to face the realism of being in the field and seeing a real patient.

Erin Donathan, Pima Community College

1. It allows students who have not worked in the field previously the opportunity to experience the sights, sounds and environment without the pressure of operating in the field.
      2. It forces students to become true “team leaders” because they are not working with a group or being coached by an instructor.
      3. It allows students to practice their critical thinking skills without the pressure of treating live patients.
      4. It gives consistent, all encompassing feedback objectively
      5. It reduces operating costs by reducing the need for instructors, equipment and space.
      6. It allows for self-study and practice at each individual student’s pace.

Michele D.

What are some of the different ways you are using VR training?

admin
        Keymaster

You can place people into real situations and see how they react, you can walk students through technical and complicated procedures and protocols to gain practice, and you can use it for safety training, posing dangerous situations with real consequences and risks. I know one agency that uses VRpatients as a pre-hire screen, ensuring clinical competency of new hires before agreeing to hire them.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.